Tuesday, August 22, 2006

If you know who Ish Kabibble is you are showing your age, unless you're an old movie buff. There are many pretenders but only one that counts and I can well imagine Ish making ballon critters but being totally inept at magic if he were still with us.

From the Jazzprofessional:

People not in on the secret could perhaps be forgiven for thinking that this is merely yet another Hare Krishna type wail. I must agree that it certainly looks like one. In fact, Ish Kabibble was the much celebrated trumpet player in Kay Kyser's Band, of The College of Musical Knowledge fame. Real name was Merwyn Bogue, but we all knew him as Ish. At one time the band seemed to be in almost every film that came out of Hollywood. I can't remember whether Ish, or, indeed, Kyser's Band, were any good at all. It was a sort of Sid Millward and his Nitwits kind of band, and Ish was famous for one thing only, and that was his hair style. This was such that it was extremely difficult to make out whether you were looking at the front or the back of his head. It was like a brutal army haircut, put on the wrong way around. The result was that Ish looked somewhat like an Old English Sheep dog but not half as pretty. We all loved him. Johnny Hawkesworth was so taken by Ish that he even bought an Ish Kabibble wig, don't ask me where from. He used to put it on at odd times and scare the wits out of innocent passersby. This was when we were in the Tommy Sampson band together. John was a very funny guy. He often exchanged messages with Cliff Dunn, another funny guy, who'd previously played guitar in the band. I remember him once getting a telegram from Cliff containing only the two words: Neckface. Neckface.

1 comment:

turtlegirl76 said...

Ah haaaa. Ok. Don't mind me. I'll just go back to my land of Pretty Little Ponies and Strawberry Shortcake dolls.

When you moved your archive to the left sidebar you messed up the font sizing. I had tons of problems doing that. Lemme see what code it was I was forgetting to put in. I want to say it's just a matter of a /ul or a /p