Friday, October 21, 2005

Backwarding better

I thought I had nailed it but...

Since I am new to reverse knitting and I started the scarf from my previous post before I was proficient--sounds better than "didn't practice enough"--I ran into some technical difficulties. Well, perhaps aesthetic difficulties would be more apropos. My tension changed dramatically **tension walks on stage and shouts, "I have changed!"** so I frogged the scarf and started over. I considered this a sign of (pick one) my maturing character or sheer lunacy. Persnickety perfectionism is SO not me and at first I balked at the idea of frogging and tried purposely knitting loosely, which did not work. Then I changed to larger needles which worked but didn't improve the beginning crappethy part of the fabric. So *sigh* I started over and have become a saner woman in the process. (Snicker and I will find you.)

See the differences in stitch quality , not to mention size, of my scarves done with the same yarn on the same needles but with much better control of the working yarn.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It is not perfect but I think it's much better looking and *gasp* it is the correct gauge. There are occasional wonky stitches but usually these result from putting my work down mid-row or not paying attention because this pattern it not something to zone out on. Nope, it's definitely not a knit-while-steering-with-one-knee WIP but I do enjoy the entrelac technique and I'm having a good time with it and that's what matters, eh?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's beautiful! Is that from a pattern or are you just making it up as you go along?

I think entrelac is the next technique I want to learn. That or mitered squares. :)

Darbyrose said...

I want to do Entrelac!
And Fair Isle!
And Lace!
And Cables!

Guess I should quit blog-surfing and get knitting, huh? ;0)

darbyrose

Carolyn said...

That is lovely! Those colours are fabulous. I bow down to your "knitting backwards" prowess!